Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Injured Reserve

So after tons of pain in my hip I finally went to the Othro Dr. followed by a trip to UPMC Sports Medicine in the South Side. Basically I have one leg longer than the other, a labral tear in my hip and lots of no-fun stuff going on. They are putting me in a sports rehab program from 4-6 weeks before they do an Arthogram and inevitably have me make on how to proceed. For now, no running, lunging, squatting, heavy weight or anything that hurts.

If I follow the instructions given to me and don't accidentally tweak it doing something stupid like getting out of bed, then I should be able to run pain free in about 6 weeks. I'm allowed to run in the pool so that is my plan. They will evaluate me closer to the end to see if I can get back to hard training. According to my rehab guy (official title) if all goes well I should be able to start training for a 5k. No more though.

This mean a few things:
1. I am bummed about missing the Great Race 10k, Indianapolis Adventure Race and the Spirit of Pittsburgh Half Marathon in November.

2. It has forced me to slow down, enjoy walks, yoga and other exercise that normally doesn't fit into my rigorous "training" schedule (I am a glutton for punishment).

3. I have to be very careful about what I put in my mouth. Without the extra calories I burn through running I am going to have to really buckle down on the nutrition end.


I am taking it slow with my hip and nursing it back to health to avoid surgery. I hope to be better than before and running 5K's this Fall. Here's to a better time and a happy hip in the Half Marathon next May...


No comments:

Post a Comment